Total Pageviews

Monday, December 4, 2023

THESE EYES


 

I have seen the sun rise over the mountains of blue,

And the sunset when the day was through.

The misty fog rising from a gentle summer’s rain,

And the tears that weep from a heart in pain.

 

I have seen the innocence of a child as he plays,

And at bedtime when he knells to pray.

The shaky first steps as he makes his way,

And words he tries to form but can barely say.

 

I have seen the willows as they sway in the wind,

And I have given thought to you my friend.

I have seen the hurt in a soul that won’t mend,

And the sadness that seems to never end.

 

I have seen the red roses that bloom in springtime,

And I saw the grapes before they were wine.

I saw the lilies standing in the field so proud and fine,

And the blissful effort of an eagle making her climb.

 

I have seen the mighty ocean crashing its gentle shore,

And the winter winds pounding upon a battered door.

Why am I blinded by the truth and is it just my demise?

Surely you saw the love I hold for you in “these eyes?”

 

Epaphroditus© September ‘00

                                               

                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment